Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Updates - Alaska, Arizona and Florida

It's been a very busy couple of months and of course, the blog is way behind on what we've been up to. I am currently in Florida with my mom and staying with my grandma for an undetermined amount of time to help her out. My mom is actually considering moving back to Florida, and back to OCALA, of all places since she constantly says how much she hates Florida and Ocala.  It's a small town, but it's where I was raised and will probably always think of it as "home". 

So, in July, mom and I went on a one-week cruise to Alaska.  She's been several times, but it was my first trip and I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Now that I'm in Ocala and seem to have time on my hands, I'm hoping to get more blogs posted to include the ports the cruise stopped at and my favorite areas.

Last month (August), mom and I went camping at our favorite get-away-from-the-Vegas-heat spot, the KOA at Circle Pines near Williams, AZ (also known as the Gateway to the Grand Canyon). My parents have often gone to Williams when they used to have their RV. But now that mom and I discovered the KOA Kabins, we LOVE it.  On this visit we actually got the cabin we wanted that faced away from the camp and towards the forest.  


We did a little hiking, and a lot of geocaching. Once again, we train-wrecks managed to both sustain injuries while geocaching. I got tripped on a branch and managed to hit it right on the last geocaching scar (my shin), so I guess it will just blend in when it is healed. Not to be outdone, Mom, on the other hand, had a nasty interaction with a barbed wire fence.  She cut her hand open (I said she needed stitches but she wouldn't do it), fell and cut the back of her leg as well. For the first time, we didn't have the first aid kit with us, so we did a makeshift bandage until we could get to the store for bandages and butterflies.  What a trooper...I had set the goal for 11 caches that day to give me an even 700 finds, and she was determined to get me there.  So we actually went and got the last two before she would let me go for bandages.  Our geocaching catchphrase:  WE BLEED FOR GEOCACHES!


But overall, we had a good time. The weather was beautiful and perfect for camping and hiking and even mom discovered a few new places even after going to Williams numerous times over the years. We got off the Interstate and followed historic Route 66 a good distance and found some cool places. If you're headed down to Arizona, try the back road. It's pretty, has interesting stops and in some spots, is actually in better condition than the Interstate!



Alaska will need it's own post.  Maybe more than one.  My goal is to get that done while at my grandma's house with bad cable and no Internet.  So stay tuned for that.  I'm on borrowed time, at the moment, since we're at the library using WiFi and my battery is quickly dying. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment